Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas


Well, I guess I need to catch up on my blog. We have been very busy which is not unusual for this time of year. Every year I say that I am not going to let Christmas be stressful but it always is!

I think God is beginning to open my eyes to all of the self absorption I am teaching my children. How did it happen? When did it all begin? As a child, I would wake up on Christmas morning and have a living room filled with toys. People would ask me every Christmas "What do you want for Christmas this year?" I have done the same thing for my children in years past but I have been thinking lately, how does Christ want us to celebrate His birthday? What does He command us to do? Is it all about what we want to get? What am I teaching my children?

To answer my questions, I went to God's word............and here is what I was reminded of:

**Do nothing out of selfish ambition of vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Philippians 2: 3-4

**"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. Matthew 16:24-25

**For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many." Mark 10:45

**KEEP YOUR LIVES FREE FROM THE LOVE OF MONEY AND BE CONTENT WITH WHAT YOU HAVE. Hebrews 13: 5

I could go on and on because God constantly tells us to serve, deny ourselves, think of others. Although, my children will be blessed with Christmas presents this year, I have been more careful not to let them focus on themselves but to focus on others. Instead of constantly asking them what they would like to have for Christmas, I have been asking them "what can we do for someone else this year"?

1 comment:

Wait on Him said...

That's so true. Thanks for putting this in your blog. I have really been telling my students that this year and that's what God was showing me through what I read at staff meeting. I hope God blesses you for focusing on him!